The truth is, I love onions in any shape and size they come in. For one, they're incredibly dependable; I'd been storing big, sweet yellow and white onions all winter long, using them as the base of soups or roasting them alongside my favorite root vegetables. But few things excite me more about spring than seeing little red and white bulbs show up on market tables. They're so versatile, yet they're only around for a few months. Bake them in savory desserts, pickle them and pile them on a sandwich for a crunchy bite, or roast them until they're caramelized and sweet, the perfect topping for a warm, spring soup.
Looking for some recipe inspiration? Here are a handful featuring spring onions that I'm drooling over this week.
1. A cute and creative spring appetizer: Toasted Goat Cheese Crostini with Basil and Red Onion Jam // Food52
2. Pair these with some cheddar and turkey for the perfect picnic sandwich: Quick Pickled Spring Onions // exPress-o
3. I'd like to eat this for dinner every night this week: Red Curry Roasted Spring Onions with Creamy Coconut Polenta // With Food and Love
4. You just can't beat roasted comté and onions on toast: Tartine Style Asparagus and Spring Onion Croque Monsieur // Alexandra's Kitchen
5. Light, bright and comforting: Spring Onion Soup // Yotam Ottolenghi
6. An onion tart that will convert you to savory desserts for life: Mushroom, Roasted Onion and Blue Cheese Tarts // From The Kitchen